Skip to main content

I manage to squeeze in a nod to Outlander


July 8
United Methodist

Ben and I are both early people. If something starts at 10:00 (like this week’s church service), we aim to arrive at 9:45, and our anxiety levels increase exponentially for every minute after that. When I googled the location of this church, I misread '15 mi.' as '15 minutes,' not '15 miles.' We were both pretty anxious to find ourselves entering the building at 9:59. Not the church’s fault, but not the best attitude for us to have on visiting a new place.

If you’ve read more than one of these posts, you’ve probably (correctly) realized by now that I’m just a bundle of anxieties and insecurities. This process is making them worse, but I’m giving myself a blue ribbon for sticking with it.

We picked this church because several months ago, when I told a friend that my church was about to close its doors, she invited me. She’s a person with whom I agree about many things: our world view, our love of all things Outlander, our appreciation of a fine cup of coffee and a pastry. We were teachers together; we still get together occasionally to reminisce, and I figured that anyone with that kind of good sense knew how to pick a good church, too. Ben and I chose not to attend on their previous pastor's last Sunday, nor on their new pastor’s first Sunday, so it took us a while to get to this one.

Here’s something a little bit odd. Last Sunday (read about it here) we attended a UMC with a new woman pastor, and this Sunday was a different UMC, also with a new woman pastor. The odd thing: the women were perhaps clones of each other—both 60ish, sturdy women with pale, jaw-length bobs. If they were both in front of me in a line-up of felonious pastors, I’m sure I couldn’t pick out which one was which.

I’m not going to harp on this next issue for every post, but I will say that “passing the peace” is nicer when you actually know someone (my friend was right behind us) to pass it to. So perhaps I’ll just try to set that aside; presumably, wherever we settle, I’ll eventually know those people.
Competent music (humbly led), good sermon (Jesus as light of the world, nicely delivered), really pleasant breeze (the church can't take credit for that, though) making the service quite comfortable. This one is still on the list, but there are at least three more that we want to check out before we start Round Two. I’m having coffee soon with the friend who invited me, and I’ll have questions for her about some of the things on my list that I wasn’t able to observe. In the meantime, I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Comments

  1. I didn't love it, but didn't really mind "passing the peace" (I hadn't heard it called that until you started your church search) when I didn't know anyone, but now that I know pretty much everyone, it's fun. It usually turns into a mad house of mingling up and down the aisles. Our service is on the radio, and a senior adult shut-in used to tell me it sounded like a hen-house full of cackling chickens. Glad you found a possibility.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff that doesn't go anywhere else, and some hyperbole.

Now that I’m caught up with Sunday visits, I think I’ll try to post some midweek thoughts about churches in general, The Church, my own ridiculousness, and anything else that seems relevant. Some of it might be serious, but mostly not.  It’s good to write again, even for an audience of ten. You know how places like classrooms and meeting rooms and churches have unwritten but rigid seating charts? That’s another anxiety of mine— am I sitting in someone’s seat? One Sunday, I was quite sure we were doing just that. They stopped, they stared, they looked around, puzzled. What is happening to my WORLD? they seemed to think. They stumbled blindly to another seat, disoriented, and sang all the songs half a beat late. Sorry, people who usually sit there. A friend wrote this comment on a satirical link I posted about introverts in church : Have you seen the new blog by the Berrien County Ministerial Alliance? Yeah, every week a different minister/preacher/pastor posts about this

Baptist Roots (but not deep ones)

Little Baptist me Ben and I married in 1975, when he was 23 and I was just a few days past my 20 th birthday. We’d both been raised Baptist—not the super-conservative independent Baptists, nor even the very conservative Southern Baptists, but American Baptist, the most mainline protestant Baptist (but still pretty conservative, for all that). Only two generations before us, Baptists weren’t allowed to play with cards or dice, to go to movies, to dance, to drink alcohol. That was gradually loosening up by the time we married, but both of us would still have considered ourselves conservative, evangelical Christians at that time.             I’ll say right off, though, that even as a very young woman, I had a bit of a rebellious streak, and I wasn’t as Baptist as my upbringing. In college, I became involved with a church that was part of the hippie-ish charismatic movement that was blooming in the 70s. The church was different and exciting, but there were definite cult-like aspec

In Which I'm Pretty Sure I Know Exactly WJWD

The little Free Methodist church in our hometown was a great place for us when our girls were little. Attendance there was under 100 even in its best years, but there were enough people so that our daughters got a good Christian education through Sunday School and mid-week programs. We enjoyed being in a small choir, having a group of close friends who were also raising children at that time, and assuming leadership positions that we never would have held in larger churches (I’ll come back to that in a few paragraphs). We went through several pastors, but the last one stayed for eighteen years, and he became important to us both as a friend and as a counselor during difficult times.             During our time as Free Methodists, my own faith underwent considerable transformation. The change was gradual at first, reflecting changes in the culture at large. In just about every cultural movement or social issue, I found myself tending toward views that were more liberal and more Demo