Skip to main content

That peculiar smell some old churches have

*
Since last week's posting with my wish list for a new church, I've heard from someone who occasionally cleans in her own church building. She reports that recently she found a pile of fingernail clippings in the sanctuary. I never thought I'd have to say this, but I'm adding this to the list: it's important that my future church be fingernail clipping-free.

June 17
Presbyterian (USA)

            We chose this church because the denomination is on my list, and because Ben was somewhat familiar with the church, as it’s the meeting place for his weekly counseling session for men with domestic abuse issues (he’s a counselor, not a counselee).
            When we entered the stone-and-brick building, I noticed that peculiar smell some old churches have. I think it’s composed of velour pew cushions, mildewed plaster, and old peoples’ sloughed-off skin cells. And old people proved to be the operative phrase; Ben and I are 65 and 62, but our presence that morning decreased the average age of the congregation by several years.
            Neither of my two previous denominations—American Baptist and Free Methodist—are particularly liturgical, and both Ben and I appreciated that aspect of the service quite a bit. Aside from a few awkward moments when we weren’t sure what to do (stand? read aloud? say “may the force be with you”? curtsey? cross oneself? yodel?), we liked the feeling that we were participating in something firm and established, comfortable and familiar to (most of) the participants.
            Some additional positive points: I appreciated that the music wasn’t ‘led’ at all—the organist played an intro, and people just sang. There was a soloist who accompanied herself on the piano, and was probably invisible to most of the congregation from her position. Her song was lovely and performed beautifully. There was no applause. 
            The message was…well, it was okay. The take-away: God loves you. That’s dandy, but I’d hope that the messages are a bit meatier and more challenging on other Sundays (their regular minister was on vacation).
            Although we weren’t able to observe every item on my list, from a perusal of the bulletin, it seemed that the church is active in the community, with volunteer projects including contributing to a homeless shelter and food deliveries to the poor and elderly.
            We had to “pass the peace.” I’m worried that I won’t be able to avoid that. Unfortunately, other than those awkward moments of muttering “peace be with you,” no one spoke a word to us. It's a paradox: I don’t want to be instant BFFs with anyone in a church I visit, but a word of greeting would be nice. I guess.
            All in all, it was a pleasant enough morning. We’d be inclined to go back if there was just a bit more diversity—we don’t really feel drawn to be the youngest in a congregation of elderly white folks.
            Gonna give this one a 6.5 out of 10.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update. Keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add my vote to the "no fingernail clippings" category. Eww. Some liturgy is lovely, and I appreciate the order it provides. Passing the peace gets better, but it's still not my favorite, better than the awkward rushed speed-greeting approach of more casual turn to your neighbor and say hello. Hihowareyouareyounewohwhereareyoufromandhowlongareyoustayingwe'resogladyoucamewillyoustayforSundaySchool?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff that doesn't go anywhere else, and some hyperbole.

Now that I’m caught up with Sunday visits, I think I’ll try to post some midweek thoughts about churches in general, The Church, my own ridiculousness, and anything else that seems relevant. Some of it might be serious, but mostly not.  It’s good to write again, even for an audience of ten. You know how places like classrooms and meeting rooms and churches have unwritten but rigid seating charts? That’s another anxiety of mine— am I sitting in someone’s seat? One Sunday, I was quite sure we were doing just that. They stopped, they stared, they looked around, puzzled. What is happening to my WORLD? they seemed to think. They stumbled blindly to another seat, disoriented, and sang all the songs half a beat late. Sorry, people who usually sit there. A friend wrote this comment on a satirical link I posted about introverts in church : Have you seen the new blog by the Berrien County Ministerial Alliance? Yeah, every week a different minister/preacher/pastor posts about this

Baptist Roots (but not deep ones)

Little Baptist me Ben and I married in 1975, when he was 23 and I was just a few days past my 20 th birthday. We’d both been raised Baptist—not the super-conservative independent Baptists, nor even the very conservative Southern Baptists, but American Baptist, the most mainline protestant Baptist (but still pretty conservative, for all that). Only two generations before us, Baptists weren’t allowed to play with cards or dice, to go to movies, to dance, to drink alcohol. That was gradually loosening up by the time we married, but both of us would still have considered ourselves conservative, evangelical Christians at that time.             I’ll say right off, though, that even as a very young woman, I had a bit of a rebellious streak, and I wasn’t as Baptist as my upbringing. In college, I became involved with a church that was part of the hippie-ish charismatic movement that was blooming in the 70s. The church was different and exciting, but there were definite cult-like aspec

In Which I'm Pretty Sure I Know Exactly WJWD

The little Free Methodist church in our hometown was a great place for us when our girls were little. Attendance there was under 100 even in its best years, but there were enough people so that our daughters got a good Christian education through Sunday School and mid-week programs. We enjoyed being in a small choir, having a group of close friends who were also raising children at that time, and assuming leadership positions that we never would have held in larger churches (I’ll come back to that in a few paragraphs). We went through several pastors, but the last one stayed for eighteen years, and he became important to us both as a friend and as a counselor during difficult times.             During our time as Free Methodists, my own faith underwent considerable transformation. The change was gradual at first, reflecting changes in the culture at large. In just about every cultural movement or social issue, I found myself tending toward views that were more liberal and more Demo