Skip to main content

Pretty sure they're not looking for a chef to prepare meals for the homeless


July 22
Congregational (UCC)
Nope. Nopity nope nope. Not this one.
In my research into denominations that I thought worth checking into, this one showed up frequently. It’s the denomination of my favorite recent ex-president, and I like their stance on many social issues.
But no.
It’s a gorgeous church building, with a pale blue and white sanctuary, a rose window, and a pipe organ. The musicians for the morning included a classical bassist, who played at several points throughout the service, sometimes in concert with the piano or the pipe organ. There was no “old church” smell here as in our first church—but there was a smell. It smelled of privilege, not my favorite fragrance.
It’s funny. These good people were for the most part middle-aged, white, and well-to-do. While that’s a description that could easily apply to me, these are not my people. They make me itch. Their activities for the next few weeks include a jazz festival. Congregants are being urged to give extra in order to renovate their (already gorgeous) building. They’re looking for a chef. A flippin’ chef.
My awkward feeling was heightened when, just before the bassist started in on Bach’s Gigue from Suite No. 3, our local representative to Congress came in and sat just in front of me. This is the same man to whose office I marched just a few weeks ago, chanting and carrying a sign with a picture of a shackled Statue of Liberty, and wearing a shirt that proclaimed “Families Belong Together." 
          Trudging forward.

Comments

  1. Just wondering... was this church in St. Joe?
    We visited a Moravian Church. I don't know if you remember the story of John Wesley coming to America to convert the Indians in 1736. During a storm on the voyage, Wesley was impressed with a group of Moravians who were praying and singing hymns while the Methodists were screaming in fear. He often worshiped with the Moravians in Georgia. When he returned to London, feeling his mission in America had failed, he attended a Moravian Bible study where he felt his heart "strangely warmed". After that night, Wesley realized that faith was not mere intellectual assent but needed to be heart-felt. So I expected the Moravian church to be warm and faith-filled. It was not. There was NO energy in the room. People were unresponsive to the sermon and unmoved by the service which was well-planned. I have visited churches where I was not greeted but I have never been to a service that was so cold and still. If we go back, it will only be because the pastor is a friend of mine. So sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff that doesn't go anywhere else, and some hyperbole.

Now that I’m caught up with Sunday visits, I think I’ll try to post some midweek thoughts about churches in general, The Church, my own ridiculousness, and anything else that seems relevant. Some of it might be serious, but mostly not.  It’s good to write again, even for an audience of ten. You know how places like classrooms and meeting rooms and churches have unwritten but rigid seating charts? That’s another anxiety of mine— am I sitting in someone’s seat? One Sunday, I was quite sure we were doing just that. They stopped, they stared, they looked around, puzzled. What is happening to my WORLD? they seemed to think. They stumbled blindly to another seat, disoriented, and sang all the songs half a beat late. Sorry, people who usually sit there. A friend wrote this comment on a satirical link I posted about introverts in church : Have you seen the new blog by the Berrien County Ministerial Alliance? Yeah, every week a different minister/preacher/pastor posts about this

Baptist Roots (but not deep ones)

Little Baptist me Ben and I married in 1975, when he was 23 and I was just a few days past my 20 th birthday. We’d both been raised Baptist—not the super-conservative independent Baptists, nor even the very conservative Southern Baptists, but American Baptist, the most mainline protestant Baptist (but still pretty conservative, for all that). Only two generations before us, Baptists weren’t allowed to play with cards or dice, to go to movies, to dance, to drink alcohol. That was gradually loosening up by the time we married, but both of us would still have considered ourselves conservative, evangelical Christians at that time.             I’ll say right off, though, that even as a very young woman, I had a bit of a rebellious streak, and I wasn’t as Baptist as my upbringing. In college, I became involved with a church that was part of the hippie-ish charismatic movement that was blooming in the 70s. The church was different and exciting, but there were definite cult-like aspec

Two absolutely serious lists, and a silly one. Actually, all three are serious.

So now here we are, looking for a new church home for the first time in four decades. Ben and I each have lists of what we’re looking for; our lists aren’t anywhere close to the same. This is my list: ·         Neither tiny nor ‘mega’ in attendance. 100 – 200 people seems ideal ·         A quiet, contemplative worship service ·         No “performances” on stage, either by singers or speakers who call attention to themselves. I don’t mind contemporary music (I prefer a blend of old and new), but I do mind showiness. The people on stage are not there to be the center of attention, and I don’t go to church to be entertained. If all the song leader does is establish pitch and help the congregation know when to come in, that’s dandy. As a musical person, I also really like to have notes to look at.  ·         A good mix of ages and generations, races and nationalities, genders, educational and economic levels, able-bodied and disabled folk. In short— everyone should be welcomed a