Skip to main content

In Which I'm Pretty Sure I Know Exactly WJWD


The little Free Methodist church in our hometown was a great place for us when our girls were little. Attendance there was under 100 even in its best years, but there were enough people so that our daughters got a good Christian education through Sunday School and mid-week programs. We enjoyed being in a small choir, having a group of close friends who were also raising children at that time, and assuming leadership positions that we never would have held in larger churches (I’ll come back to that in a few paragraphs). We went through several pastors, but the last one stayed for eighteen years, and he became important to us both as a friend and as a counselor during difficult times.
            During our time as Free Methodists, my own faith underwent considerable transformation. The change was gradual at first, reflecting changes in the culture at large. In just about every cultural movement or social issue, I found myself tending toward views that were more liberal and more Democratic than those typically associated with conservative evangelicalism. Interestingly, this didn’t feel to me as if I were rebelling against my faith, but that I was embracing views that were shaped by Jesus’ teachings. For a while, the catch phrase “What would Jesus do?” was making the rounds. I’ve never been a joiner, so I didn’t wear the WWJD bracelets, but my tendency toward inclusion, compassion, peace, and acceptance seemed to me the epitome of what Jesus would do, and that was the kind of faith I wanted, while evangelical culture (it seemed to me) was grasping exclusion, harshness, violence, and intolerance.
            As I said—the change was gradual for twenty years or so. And then a horrible accident involving my youngest daughter and a consequent life-altering disability shattered everything I’d ever believed. Everything faith-related seemed like so much white noise, and I backed away from it all for a while, trying to sort things out. I’d be content and at peace for a time, but then other troubles would intrude and I’d wrestle with faith again.
            These things were all happening in my inner world, but things were changing pretty rapidly in the outside world, too. Politics, social evolution, my own eye-opening relationships with people who were poor…Hispanic…LGBT…alienated…disabled—all these changed me, to the extent that over the past 5 – 10 years, I’ve set aside the evangelical label altogether. I don’t really have a label that fits me now: progressive is close, but it’s not a perfect match. I do know that it’s lonely being a label-less Christian. (On a sad side note: I’ve been more judged, criticized, and ostracized by evangelical Christians than by friends who are of other faiths, agnostic, or atheist. It has taken me a long time to find a tiny knot of Christians who I can trust.)
            Back to our Free Methodist church, then. Over the years, attendance there shrank considerably. There were a number of factors: our little town was becoming a resort community with fewer permanent residents. Those who were still here were getting older, while fewer young families were taking the place of folks who moved away (or died). The economy dipped and stayed low for a while, sending people in search of jobs and homes elsewhere. And while Ben and I stayed on as the congregation dwindled, we had to pile on more and more hats. We were each doing several jobs in the church, and taking on still more as people continued to leave. It was wearying and discouraging—but if we didn’t do those jobs, there was literally no one else who could.  
            Then our beloved pastor announced that he’d accepted a different job. Immediately, I knew that it was time for us to go, too. The church wouldn’t last long without him—maybe it could struggle on for another year or two with a part-time pastor, and with Ben and I still doing all those jobs—but the handwriting was on the wall. Besides, I was worried that a newly-assigned pastor would be one who holds opposing political views to mine. In America of a few decades ago, that wouldn’t have mattered. In today’s America, where politics and faith are absolutely welded together, I could not be pastored by such a person.
            When we told the few remaining people that we intended to leave with the pastor, that was the beginning of the end. Those few families could never support the needs of even a part-time pastor. The church closed in early June, and our search for a new place began.
(This blog is running a few weeks behind the actual search--I'll probably run one midweek in order to catch up.)


Comments

  1. Praying for you and Ben. Proverbs 3:5,6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here! Praying your journey for a new church home is not difficult and will be rewarding on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing us your heart. So far, I’m with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In today’s America, where politics and faith are absolutely welded together, I could not be pastored by such a person."

    This is why I reject religion and politics welded together. I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesus was all about standing up to bad politics (politics that didn't look after the least of these, those abusing their power, etc) but I didn't want to think that was true because that would mean *I* would have to get involved. Now I believe it's what's required of me (Micah 6:8). I couldn't be in a church where I felt my pastors were ignoring or staying neutral about the things Jesus cared about.

    I appreciate your vulnerability in sharing about this journey. I think it helps others who are on a similar path.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff that doesn't go anywhere else, and some hyperbole.

Now that I’m caught up with Sunday visits, I think I’ll try to post some midweek thoughts about churches in general, The Church, my own ridiculousness, and anything else that seems relevant. Some of it might be serious, but mostly not.  It’s good to write again, even for an audience of ten. You know how places like classrooms and meeting rooms and churches have unwritten but rigid seating charts? That’s another anxiety of mine— am I sitting in someone’s seat? One Sunday, I was quite sure we were doing just that. They stopped, they stared, they looked around, puzzled. What is happening to my WORLD? they seemed to think. They stumbled blindly to another seat, disoriented, and sang all the songs half a beat late. Sorry, people who usually sit there. A friend wrote this comment on a satirical link I posted about introverts in church : Have you seen the new blog by the Berrien County Ministerial Alliance? Yeah, every week a different minister/preacher/pastor posts about this

Baptist Roots (but not deep ones)

Little Baptist me Ben and I married in 1975, when he was 23 and I was just a few days past my 20 th birthday. We’d both been raised Baptist—not the super-conservative independent Baptists, nor even the very conservative Southern Baptists, but American Baptist, the most mainline protestant Baptist (but still pretty conservative, for all that). Only two generations before us, Baptists weren’t allowed to play with cards or dice, to go to movies, to dance, to drink alcohol. That was gradually loosening up by the time we married, but both of us would still have considered ourselves conservative, evangelical Christians at that time.             I’ll say right off, though, that even as a very young woman, I had a bit of a rebellious streak, and I wasn’t as Baptist as my upbringing. In college, I became involved with a church that was part of the hippie-ish charismatic movement that was blooming in the 70s. The church was different and exciting, but there were definite cult-like aspec